Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Introduction




My name is Autumn Wright. Currently I am living and running the Left Hand Printing Co. in Lancaster Pennsylvania. I graduated from Millersville University with a bachelor of fine arts degree in 2011 concentrating in drawing and printmaking. I have also attended programs at Penland School of Arts and Crafts in North Carolina and the School of Visual Arts at Chautauqua, NY.

 I believe that different drawing and printmaking processes influence my artwork on a regular basis. The process plays a big role in what will be created, a start with something unpredictable or hard to control then working back into it.  Most of my work has an organic quality referencing the body and things that you might find in nature. As an avid collector of many things, especially rocks and shells, these shapes show up a lot in my art. Dealing with relationships, comparisons and clusters of objects, I like the viewer to look at groupings and analyze what they are looking at, to compare and contrast. Sometimes it is a collection of objects that I am trying to show together or a variety of things interacting. I think that as artists we are constantly collecting materials to use in our work. It is something that influences us and satisfies a subconscious need. Is it the need to have massive quantities of one thing or is it a need of preparation? For me, it is the thrill of acquiring a certain item and in my artwork it is a way of showing objects all different but connected in some way.



No comments:

Post a Comment